first snow and nano update 2018

Saturday, November 10, 2018

NaNo Current Word Count: 18,037

last night was a hard writing night. Every day since the first I've managed to get in 2k or over, no matter what. last night, I just couldn't. It was 12:30 am, I scratched down 526 words and closed my laptop. I'm still on track, it's okay. but not making 2k last night made me feel dissatisfied with myself, immediately I knew I shouldn't feel that way but the fact is, I did. 
at first I think I surprised myself with how "easy" it was to do nanowrimo. I didn't really think that, I just felt it if that makes any sense idk. Outlining helped me a lot. Then self doubts hit in about how I thought my writing was just getting worse as I progressed and agh, my characters weren't very personable and the story world felt forced

I showed my first chapter to a few friends and some people loved it and others thought it could use some work and hey, that's cool. My story isn't for everyone, it's for me. And I hope your story is for you too. it's nice when other people enjoy your words, but that's not the whole thing. not for me, anyways.
Don't stress out about your wordcount and how many words you dont have and wow how is that person doing 5k EVERY DAY? bc that's not you and it's not your story and thats perfectly ok. Look at how far you've come.
Part of the problem is, I've been looking at what I haven't accomplished, or what isn't good in my story and forgot to look at the fact that I've written 18k in NINE DAYS when I haven't been seriously writing in over a year and that's a big accomplishment for me. I forgot to look at the fact that there are actually some good things in this story and that I have a message to tell, instead of thinking about everything that isn't working out like I pictured. I forgot to focus on the fact that there are people out there that actually love my story and I've had two people say "IT FEELS LIKE AN ACTUAL PUBLISHED BOOK" and that they can't wait to read it all
why do we beat ourselves up so much for what we've gotten wrong, instead celebrating what we have right? too often we think others view us as less, when we are really the ones beating ourselves up for our flaws. So calm down. You've got this. I've got this.
I was talking with a friend about it last night, after he had read my first chapter and I was saying how I was having a hard time with writing. he said this: "just think how good it will feel when you finish."
so lets remember that this month. No matter what, we're winners. Tell your story and tell it for you and that's all you'll need. we've got this xxxxxxx

27 comments

  1. so true!! I feel the same way when I work on my novel and believe it's forced and the characters are awful, etc. etc. It's a relentless, terrible cycle that needs to stop. Because, after all, it's not the final draft. (for me anyway)
    Also, the pictures are beautiful. I can't get enough of them on here or Instagram. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agghh yes it's so true. it is really a rotten cycle. and I know, we expect way too much out of ourselves for FIRST NANO drafts like really.

      ahhh thank you!!! I'm so glad haha bc I figured some people might be annoyed if they have to see them all twice XD

      Delete
  2. these photos are beautiful, sarah <33 i can't wait to get snow.

    maddy || little bit of sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  3. yesss girl i agree!!! i think that it is what most of the world does, and so when we are optimistic about things others aren't, it feels weird. but we need more celebrating our accomplishments! these pics are utter gorgeousness and makes me want snow so bad!! what lens do you use, again? lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yuuuss exactly!! aww thank you, Paige!! I'd gladly send some your way haha. I use the 50mm 1.8 -- it takes some practice but its a lovely lens for sure

      Delete
  4. *squints at post title* *whispers* Did I sleep through an entire year and no one told me or....? xD xD

    Oh my worddd, your pictures are gorgeous. AND YES. Don't stress, kay?! I'm not doing NaNo, but hey, I get the feelings of doubt, the moments of wondering why you ever thought you could write this book in the first place. BUT YOU CAN! And I'm sure it'll be fabulous. <33 Rock on, Sare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *quietly goes to fix that* um okay you know whats scary? I think I actually believed it was 2019 shhhhhh

      THANK YOU, FAITH!! aw I'll try not to haha. yesss EXACTLYY. they are terrible feelings. thank you so much for the encouragement, girl!!

      Delete
    2. *cracks up* don't rush us... xD

      Delete
  5. This post is exactly what I needed! I'm doing Nanowrimo for the first time. I did camp Nano this July and made my goal of 10,000. I was really happy about that, but this November, I'm kind of getting discouraged. I have gotten only into the 8,000s so far. I'm way behind, but I think I'm ok with that. I'm still going to keep going! Maybe I needed more of a outline, but for some reason, things have gone a lot slower than I had thought they would go. This post was really encouraging, so thanks! :)
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw I'm so glad!! yess go you! but I know what you mean. it's tough. BUT GIRL. you are only ten days in and you almost have what you got in 30 days!!! that's AMAZING. this is a personal best for YOU so you are doing AWESOME. you've got this bro. so glad this helped a bit xxxx

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the encouragement, Sarah! <3

      Delete
  6. I WILL NEVER EVER GET OVER THESE PHOTOS. <3

    also thank you for writing this post because I go through all the same troubles you do... but I have to remember that at least I'm writing and there's that.

    xx Kenzie | www.paperpizzablog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH BRO THX SO MUCCHHHH ur so sweet xxxxx

      aww yeah fellow INFJ right?? and it's true. I have way more words than I ever had before so there's that xD

      Delete
  7. Just what I needed - thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your photos!! You are so right in your advice, and this is just the reminder I needed for my own writing goals so thank you for sharing!

    Ashlee
    sparklesbyashlee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Ashlee!! so glad it helped -- you've got this xxxx

      Delete
  9. Wow I so relate. Last two NANO years have been a breeze to write. But this one? I just don't get how the words are so hard to write. Like I'm on track, doing good according the stats. But my worry is hounding me. I'm a short story writer, though I've written some novels. I envision this story to a novel though and I'm scared it'll only be a novella. I don't know why I'm worrying about it so much though? So what if I can't stretch it out longer? So far I love what I have. I love my theme and my characters and everything. But . . . shouldn't it be a novel? I'm still working through this tbh.
    I also relate to people loving/ hating your story and the hate always bothers more than the love ;p Isn't that sad though? Yeah our stories aren't for everyone as you say but how I wish the ones that didn't like my story wouldn't read it ;p

    Good luck to NaNo for you!

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aggh yes sometimes that's just the way it is. and "doing good according to the stats" I SO RELATE. just keep writing, there's always such a thing of editing and adding to plot. I was worried about that, but now I'm worried about keeping it under 100k. there's always something to worry about so just write the story. no matter what, there's always things you can do to lengthen.

      agh yes that's so annoying. especially if there is more love than hate, the hate still seems to get at you. but hey, that's just gonna happen.

      you've got this!!

      Delete
    2. I love how your say there's always something to worry about. I'm really going to try to stress less with this -- which is funny, as normally I'm not a stresser/ worrier ;) But you've given me hope!

      Delete
    3. well that's for sure something I've been learning a lot this year so..I should write a post on it, really. it goes in ups and downs, I know. but hey, it's all ok <33

      Delete
  10. girl, I love how you take\edit your pictures <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh thank you -- but I'm always learning, trust me xxx

      Delete
  11. These photos are gorgeous! I'm really in love with them. <3
    As for about what you said about writing -- all of that is so true and beautiful. As an aspiring YA author, it's hard to stay motivated, but your post was encouraging. <3 <3 <3
    Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete

© the introverted extrovert. Design by FCD.